Facility Maintenance Manager
Position: ¾ Time
Reporting to: Senior Pastor
This position is responsible for the physical property of First United Methodist Church including the parsonage. Those responsibilities include the cleanliness, safety, and condition of the building and management of custodial staff, general maintenance, as well as overseeing and scheduling the routine contracted maintenance and grounds. A clean, safe environment is conducive to the mission of the Church of making new disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. This position will work with and oversee a team of volunteers for regular maintenance and specific projects. This position will report to the Senior Pastor and work closely with the leadership team.
- Regular sanitation of all restrooms and touch points to ensure cleanliness & health guidelines are met.
- Responsible for cleanliness of assigned areas to ensure a well-organized appearance in addition to functionality for staff & church activities.
- Coordinate sanitation needs with Joyful Noise Director and maintain cleanliness in children’s hallway, in accordance with early childhood education standards.
- Serve as the main point of contact for repairs/emergencies, and contract labor.
- Follow up on work orders submitted, troubleshoot problems, and make minor maintenance repairs.
- Responsible for appropriate and timely maintenance or replacement of equipment, as needed.
- Manages and orders stock of paper products and janitorial supplies as needed for maximum efficiency.
- Coordinates with trustees/leadership team in planning and assisting with long term maintenance and other projects, including researching, bidding and making recommendations as assigned.
- Manage custodial staffing (20 part time hours) for daily cleaning and for Sunday mornings and “high volume” services and special events at church: special worship services, Easter, Vacation Bible School, Advent events, Christmas Eve.
- Continue to build out and maintain the facilities maintenance calendar.
- Recruit and coordinate with a team of volunteers for regular maintenance and projects.
- Lead all bids/estimates for contract work, Ensure existing contracts are either renewed on time or terminated, maintain record of vendors, timeliness and completeness of the vendors’ services, and payments made.
- Coordination of annual fire, energy, and accessibility audits.
- Lead the safety committee, ensuring that the safety measures are documented and taught to volunteers. Including policies to cover the congregation and Sunday school classes on Sundays as well as the groups that meet at the church during the week.
- Stay informed of and recommend enhancements to the facility that will protect visitors (ex: increased ventilation and air filters to lower air pollutants)
- Lead feasibility studies on items such as environmentally friendly initiatives and energy conservation initiatives.
- Responsible for overseeing the facilities budget in coordination with the Trustees.
• Must be able to physically access all work sites required for the position.
• May require exposure to weather and temperature extremes.
• Ability to work with cleaning materials, detergents and authorized chemicals and
• May require exposure to heights.
• Must have physical mobility to move from place to place on the job.
• Must have physical strength to handle routine custodian materials and tools.
• Must have physical strength to handle 50+ lb. objects, considering frequency.
- Willingness to abide by the First United Methodist staff guiding values.
- Demonstrated growing relationship with God through Jesus Christ
- Commitment to United Methodist theology
- Demonstrated ability to be a self-starter and manage time and projects accordingly.
- Demonstrated gifts in hospitality.
- Can effectively manage part time staff and schedule.
- Can keep flexible hours and be available when needed.